Monday, November 24, 2014

Critic about How the Social Network effect our society

I would like to know how the social network effect to our live. Then, I found this writing that is about The effects of SNS upon society. The link is below:
http://www.teenink.com/nonfiction/academic/article/485925/the-effects-of-social-networking-upon-society/

I read some articles about the effects of SNS, but this writing is talking about many ways, I mean many point of view. I think this writing is personal article, but I l like it.The author wrote positive and negative things, but it is not about good and bad things. It is about 'The EFFECT'. Now I would like to talk about some my thoughts and critics about this article.

The first, the author quoted this line from today USA:
 “With the rise of websites such as Facebook, social networking may be on the verge of replacing traditional personal interactions for the next generation”
When the time is changed, many things are changed a lot. In this case, I need to talk about the internet and SNS. When the internet is invented, then SNS spread all over the world. So, the way to communicate has been changed. Long time ago, we just wrote the letter using pencil and paper, now we used e-mail or just send messages using their SNS or smartphone. Lately, these things are common. I can see this consequence negatively, but I want to see it positively. I know SNS has many harmful things, but I only accept this good thing. It is faster, more accurate, and less wasting.

The second thing is:
This allows one’s social circle to expand.
The social networking is good for making circle and group. I am a Korean, so I want to show one example from Korea. In Korea, there is one application that name is "BAND". It is made by Korea portal site 'Naver'.  In this application, I can make a group in privately or public. And in my department made this group, so there are some important information or department pictures. Anyone can edit it. It can be a good place to make social relationship. Also, we can expand anything that we want.


The third thing is:
Cyber bullying is a form of bullying that is only done through the web and other technologies. However, on the networks no one is there to witness the attack. This makes it harder for a victim to ask for help.
I already said about the cyber bullying, but the reason I mention it one more time is the author saw it another point of view. Previously, I read many writing about the cyber bullying, those said there are many cuber bullying using SNS. However, this author said about the realistic. Yes, we know about the fact that is cyber bullying exist, but we don't know why this problem is hard to fix it. The author said there is no witness and victim. It means it is hard to find. To fix it, the law is necessary. If there is, it has to be strengthened.

The fourth thing is:
Many people are becoming more isolated due to the lack of personal interaction.
I know what the situation is. More than two people are sitting on the chair, and there is no talk at all. Everybody knows this situation. It is common lately. However, I am the opposite, because I think the SNS makes the world talk more. The communication that is face to face and direct communication decrease, but the communication that is using SNS increase. We can express more than just word. There are many ways to express than just direct. Also, before, we can communicate with people who I know. On the other hand, we can communicate with people who live the opposite of the globe. There are some people who feel isolation, but I think the SNS and internet makes us talk more.


The last thing is:
When we contact one another through these sites we are limiting ourselves. When you use networks like Facebook, “you’re representing yourself on a database. Then you live according to that database. You fill in checkmarks saying this is what I’m interested in, this is who I am, this is the music I want to hear, and you become a caricature of yourself"
When I read this part, I cannot understand why we are limiting, because we can connect with more wide world. However, after this line, I could understand. Yes, I think the SNS and internet can make us think creatively, because we influence a lot from the online world, but these things can limit us. There are limited checklist on the internet. Inversely, it can make us lose our personal.

I have thought about the effect of SNS. There are some things that I want to discuss, it was good topic. And this author wrote many thing as other point of view. Also, when I think and read like these kinds of article again and again, I feel like the good thing can be the bad thing, and the bad thing can be the good thing. After I read some articles, it depends of us. How we use it, and how we handle this things, it depends on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment